Sci-Fi Explosion Sound Design Contest
Have your sound design judged by Paul Stoughton
To celebrate the new Explosive Energy Library by Paul Stoughton, Krotos & Penguin Grenade are running a sound design contest.
Take part in the contest by submitting your best sound design for a sci-fi explosion clip. Be as creative as you like, but limit yourself to using only your own recordings from around the house, which is how Paul Stoughton designed the Explosive Energy Library.
“Explosive Energy started as a challenge to myself. Sometimes I like to impose strict limitations on what I can use to design something, finding that it can be more inspiring to be backed into a corner than having every tool at your disposal. I wanted to make explosions only from processed source recordings from inside my apartment. Slapping cushions, stomping on the floor, swinging pillowcases, blowing on microphones, anything I could think of was fair game.”
– Paul Stoughton
What are the rules?
- Create your own sound design for the video
- Use only your own recordings from around your home (or studio)
- You can use synths and instruments
- No real explosions, obviously!!! Stay safe!
- Process the sounds in any way you like
- You can use any Krotos software or demo, but you don’t have to!
- You cannot use the sound libraries from your Krotos software (or any other libraries)
- We encourage you to save footage and recordings of your process, and winners will be asked to detail their process on the Krotos blog
- Music is not required, but you’re welcome to include it
- Submit one entry per person
What can you win?
- Entries will be judged by Paul Stoughton & the Krotos team
- 1st prize: Explosive Energy Library & Weaponiser Fully Loaded
- 2nd & 3rd Prizes: Explosive Energy Library
How to take part:
Download the footage and design your own sound. Once you’re ready, sign up through the form below to upload your video!
Your video can be uploaded to Youtube, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Entries will be judged by Paul Stoughton & Krotos, and it does not matter which platform you choose to upload your video to from the list below!
Entries close 1st February 2021
When will the winners be announced?
Thanks for all your amazing entries to the contest! It’s been fantastic seeing your creativity with the contest. The entries are now with Paul Stoughton for judgement, which may take a few days to go through.
Once we’ve gone through the entries and picked our winners, we’ll send everyone who took part an email, so keep an eye out! Good luck!
Explosive Energy for Weaponiser
Paul Stoughton’s Explosive Energy library has now been adapted as a straight out-of-the-box Weaponiser library featuring over 1,000 assets to offer you enhanced explosive power that packs a punch!
Transform this library into your own sound design, or create thousands of unique assets at lightspeed using Weaponiser’s powerful and efficient workflow.